Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Loom Warping 101

I took a weekend weaving class a few weeks ago and since then I've been busy getting mine up and running.  The first thing I needed, that I didn't have, was a warping board.  I looked at some online but was turned away at the $150+ price tag for a few pieces of wood and some dowels.  So, of to Home Depot I went to get the supplies to make my own.  That's right...I spent a weekend with power tools!
I got 2 - 6' boards of oak to make the frame and 4-3' dowels for the pegs.  A little measuring, some sawing, some drilling, sanding, pounding and there you have it!  A warping board for around $30!
Worked pretty well!

The warping board keeps the warp organized, prepped for the loom and measures each strand the perfect length.  Once it's all done, you take it off and loop it in a chain like this until you are ready to put it on the loom.
Love that he is so interested in the loom and ready to help.
 Attaching the warp.
 These are the heddles.  They hold each warp strand through an eye in the middle of the heddle.  Each heddle is attached to one of the shafts that raise up and down which ultimately helps make the pattern.  This takes a long time to get just right.
 Once they are all through, you get to attach the ends and tighten up the warp....
 and finally get weaving!
 So fun! This is just a sampler to get a feel for different patterns and designs that can be done.  It's been fun, but now ready to finish sampler and move on to my first real project.....a scarf!  

No comments: