Monday, May 6, 2013

Big Boy Bed

Any guesses who that boy is in the big boy bed???
 It's Nikkels!!!!!!!!!!
I had been digging my heels in a bit making the transfer from crib to bed.  Part of it had to do with not wanting to admit my little guy is not so much of a baby anymore.  But mostly, I wasn't sure how the transition would go....would he be out of his bed a million times in one night?  Would he be up at 5:30 in the morning staring at me from the side of my bed asking for breakfast?  Things are good in a crib...you put 'em in there and there they stay! Life is easy like that.  But, it was time.  PLUS, I had all these fun new things for his new room!  For starters, we painted the room blue as it had been RED....like crayon red.  The previous owners used this room for their office and it worked for that, not a little boys room.  So, I painted it blue and made the construction theme duvet cover and curtains.  The stuffed fabric, Smile, above his bed was in my room when I was a little girl. 
I made the duvet cover with the trucks for the top, and the underside is a soft flannel.  I put snaps in at the bottom of the duvet for easy washing and also attached snaps to the inside corners of the duvet and also to the comforter itself so it doesn't shift.  Snaps seem pretty easy to match up so I'm pretty pleased with how that turned out.
 The curtains are just sewn with finished edges and the hardware was from IKEA.  Super easy.
And now he gets to have big brother read him stories at night!
 And how is the transition???  Going well!  The first night he didn't make a peep.  Nap the 2nd day was no big thing as he was so tired.  But the 2nd night he was out a bunch of times....he'd peek out his door, then tiptoe to Dot's room.  I'd walk him back and he'd get back in bed.  Finally when he peeked out his door and saw me standing right there, that seemed to do the trick.  Each nap is getting easier and bedtime went really well tonight.  He seems happy enough as long as he can have some books in bed to read to Roger, his teddy bear.  And we haven't had any early birds....yet!

No comments: