Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Sweet Potato Recipe

I have had a lot of people ask for my Sweet Potato recipe over the years and I'm pretty much not allowed to arrive for our Thanksgiving meal without it!  My Auntie made these for years and they were always my favorite.  If you need an easy dish to bring to your Thanksgiving dinner, make this and everyone will love you!  

Auntie Mar's Sweet Potatoes

*3 Cups Mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 Cup White Sugar
2/3 Cup softened butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs well beaten in a separate bowl
Combine all ingredients in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish

Topping:
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/4 Cup softened butter (1/2 stick)
1/3 Cup flour
1/2 Cup chopped pecans
Mix together, will be crumbly, sprinkle on top to cover potatoes
Bake @ 350 for 45 minutes

*First bake 3 medium size sweet potatoes @ 400 for 1 hour.
Cool, peel and mash

Serves: 6

The last few years I have made the entire dish the night before, stuck in the fridge and just popped in the oven about 1 1/2 hours before we are due to leave.  Cooks up great and easy to transport.  I also always double this recipe and put in a 9X13 dish.  With the larger size and being cold from the fridge, I think I leave mine in the oven for a little over an hour...plus I like the topping a little more "done".

This is wonderful, brown sugary, crunchy goodness that your family will love!  Enjoy!

No comments: