Sunday, December 14, 2014

Loomiversary

I quietly celebreated the one year Loomiversary last weekend.  One year since Farmor's loom made its great journey here.  If you haven't figured it out already...I LOVE this loom.  I'm still giddy each time I plan a project, prep the loom, pull up the bench and start weaving.  I've always loved texture, fibers and yarn...I took to knitting pretty quickly.  Remember those test they gave us in school to see where our strenths are....mechanical reasoning was always one of my highest.  Weaving is a lot like that.  The entire process is so fun and it brings me crazy amounts of joy.  I found my it, my thing, my passion.  That's a pretty cool feeling.  ;-)

Here is the warping mill.  This thing is amazing!  Warping 10 yards of warp is a dream.  So much faster and easier than the warping board.
And here's my poor man's spool rack.  I need to come up with something better, but those lonely knitting needles were happy to finally see a little bit of action.  
 Here is Weaving Walter.  He likes to "help" as much as he can.  He's helping by.....flattening the fabric for me!
 Speaking of fabric, weaving rugs takes a lot of fabric.  Love those sheet donations that have been coming in!  I have boxes of old upholstery samples that I have been hoarding for years.  So, I tried stitching a bunch of them together to make a giganitic loop, cut them right up with my rotary cutter and made this heap of mess.
 But score!  Look at that pretty little fabric ball!  Excited to try that out in a rug.
 Here's some fabric stretchd out on my arm.  It's all been cut with rotarty cutter, up to the last 2 inches on top.  Now I cut them apart with my scissor and they fall to a heap on the floor.
 Wind them all up and look at those!  AND check out the two fabric donations that came in at the PERFECT time!
 Again, Weaving Walter.  He insisted there was room for him too in the loom while I was threading all those heddles.
 Here he is about 15 minutes later.  You know...the dog needs to stretch out for maximum napping enjoyment.  He's snoring here...you can almost hear him, can't you?
 And here's a little peak at those fabric scraps....EEEEKKKK!!!!  I am so in love!
 Oh, yes...and more of my helper.
So, happy 1st Loomiversary my Dear Loom!  I am SO glad you are here!  XOXO

3 comments:

aboveallshadows said...

Your happiness is catching! Love knowing people who find their sweet spot :)

Barb said...

Wow, what a lot of prep work!! The mechanical gene did not come from your mother!! Just love seeing all your creations and good to see you have such a great helper by our side!! :-)

Unknown said...

Oh, Walter! Lol.