Monday, October 27, 2014

Finished Rugs

 The three rugs are off the loom, washed and finished.  I learned a ton but I'm super happy with how they turned out.  I had no idea how far fabric would get me...turns out not very far!  On my first rug I had to add in the greens or it would have been a very, very short rug.  But I like how it turned out!  This one I wove a header in the warp and hemmed instead of having fringe.

This was the 2nd one and I played around with different fabrics - an old fabric shower curtain, fabric scraps and upholstery scraps.  Again, fabric is used up pretty quickly - the rug shrinks in size once tension is released and taken off the loom and again once it's washed due to the cotton warp shrinking.  It's normal and tightens the rug...but I'm still always surprised how much cottom shrinks.
 I forgot to weave a header on this one - I think I was so excited to get started.  So, I had to tie the knots right next to the woven fabric, which tends to unravel a bit.  I won't forget a header again.  ;-)
And here is #3.  I learned a lot by this rug and this one is the best.  The carrys on the side of fabric are much better and more even.  The header used before the ends make it crisp looking.  I did find the cotton warp does fray a bit, so in the future I may stick to hemming or twisting the fringe.  I didn't allow for enough fringe to twist at this point, so I'll just leave as is.  Apparently the fringes wear out quickly on these kinds of rugs.


 And look who photo bombed!  
I think he's saying, "Not mine?"

3 comments:

paulanjohn said...

Love the rugs! Are you going to be in the Brooklyn Park area anytime (or Hugo)? I took a set of sheets from my parents and thought of you. They are a blue/green/maroon plaid. Would make for a good dark color scheme.

Katri said...

Hey Paula! I have some sheets to pick up in golden valleyand then wanted to go to SR Harris in BP (have u been there, crazy huge fabric shop) in the near future, so I could swing by school at some point. Do u guys have a work day at school coming up? Thanks for grabbing it for me....I'll pm u on FB and we'll connect. Thanks!

dbkh said...

Oh Walter. You know a good rug when you see one, don't you?