Sunday, September 2, 2012

Black and White

See that front door?  Pretty white and blah, don't you think?
 There, that's better....a nice, dark midnight black.  Love it!
Here's what it looks like from the inside.  We also changed out the door hardware...we kind of got the impression that our sellers had given out a house key or two to friends and family over the years.  But, I suppose we didn't really need to since we have this ferocious watch dog....uh-huh...right.  Change the locks.
 Yesterday when we were painting the garage cabinets we brought up my old art table from college to paint also.  It's a great table made from 2x4's and the top is made from a solid wood door.  I wish I had taken a "before" picture...but it was all plain old lumber, so I'm sure you can imagine.  Somehow it made it's way to my in-laws basement years ago and I had no idea it was there until this summer.  Fast forward to moving in and we realized it would fit PERFECTLY in the nook for my art area. 
 I mean REALLY!  Is that perfect, or what?  It's like it was made for that table!
 I'm so happy with how my art area turned out.  For years I've had my stuff jammed into closets and bins and stashed throughout the house.  Now, it's finally all in one space.  The shelves are the Expedit shelves from Ikea.  They aren't organized the way I want them yet, and I have some other ideas for finishing the space, but you get the idea.
 And here are some of my favorites....this is a picture (that needs a much better frame) of my Great Grandmother knitting.  I love this picture.  And if you look at the picture above, that's my Grandpa's easel. It's very old and covered in paint splashes.  I put one of his paintings that is waiting for a new frame on it.  Just makes me happy and inspired.
 And if you are wondering..... that's a shower curtain behind the shelves!  It was an extra fabric one we didn't need anymore and it turns out it fits perfectly....we just duct taped it to the top and didn't need to trim anything. It's not exactly the pattern I had in mind, but it will do the trick until I find my dream fabric...or shower curtain.  ;-)

3 comments:

aboveallshadows said...

I didn't think you were the type to celebrate early, but this whole post feels like CHRISTMAS!! That perfect spot for your art table is IN. CRED. I. BLE!!!!

dbkh said...

I love everything! Way to go girl!

annie said...

Awesome!